Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Ilocandia Tour - My visit to Vigan

The first stop on my "Ilocandia tour" is the historic town of Vigan in Ilocos sur. They say it's one of the most preserved Spanish colonial city not just in the country but in the whole of Asia!

Vigan is about 10 hour drive from Manila via the North Luzon Express way. There are daily trips from Malina to Laoag via public bus, Partas Bus Line and the Philippine Rabbit (those are the buses I saw along highway during my travel). If you hate road travel, you can reach Laoag via plane, I think Cebu pacific caters to this destination. Once in Laoag, you can just take a jeepney or tricycle ride going to Vigan Historical site.

After my trip to Corregidor, I begin to learn to appreciate historical sites. This Vigan trip made me like it even more. The long dirve from Manila to Vigan is all worth it. The place is a must to visit! It is as if you travelled back in time. It gives you a nostalgic feeling walking along Vigan's brickroad. Calle Crisologo is full of old houses that was built during the Spanish era. It's architecture and design amazes me (the only thing I do not like on this area is that most of the houses on the street is converted into souvenir shops).


The Vigan arc, We are finally here!



Kalesa



Nightime at Vigan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's possible to ride a tricycle from Laoag to Vigan but its not practical. We're talking of about 77 kilometers of travel.

warfairy said...

Hi Monching! Thanks for your comment. I agree with you, a tricycle trip would be too tiring (a real hassel!) but there are others who are up for the adventure! :p